All Now Mysterious...

Sunday, October 31, 2004

Snapshots from My Day

I awoke to a three-inch layer of fluffy whiteness outside the house this morning. All is calm, all is bright. I find the snow soothing...except when I have to dodge other drivers in it. At least the trick-or-treaters didn't get snowed on last night.

I had a long talk with my brother this morning. It looks like I'm not going to get to see him much at Christmas and not at all for Thanksgiving. Rats. I understand that he's doing what he needs to do for himself and the girls, but it still sucks. I just wish people in my family could figure out how not to be mad at each other for the holidays.

I have bits of The Frantics' routines running through my head today:
  “How much is forty-four in real numbers?”
  “XLIV.”
  “XLIV? Why don't you just say 'XLIV'? Who can remember 'forty-four'?”
I got their CD, Frantic Times, in the mail yesterday.

I sang with the ward choir today. We did a piece we've been working on for about two months. The group has apparently tried this piece before and given up on it because it was too difficult. Well, we pulled it together, and it sounded great today. There was a fantastic spirit when we sang. I'll miss that song.
We started a new piece in choir practice that we'll do in a couple of weeks. It sounds good, although I'll never understand why the composer of this arrangement felt that the basses need to come in on a C when the piano is playing a B-flat.

Here's an excerpt from an e-mail message I got today.
“Hi-I understand that Colorado is up in the air for the election. Please encourage all of your (Party A) family members to vote. Tell any of your (Party B) people that the election has been moved to Wednesday. Thank you for your help.”
My response:
“Sorry, but I don't think that would work. We're talking about Colorado, not Florida....”

I met my new home teachers today. Well, I didn't really meet them – I had met them both before in church – but they met with me for the first time today in their capacity as home teachers. It's one of the other men from the High Priests group and his youngest son. I found out that Bill (the father) also served a mission in the South (Tennessee). Instant bonding experience.

This is from a conversation I had walking home from church today.
Them: “My mom told me she thought you were 29.”
Me: “Your mother is very generous.”

You can too barbecue in the snow.

I got out my sweaters today. I'm not much of a suit/sport jacket guy, never have been. I don't know why. It must be my extreme innate disrespect for authority. I'm such a rebel.

The election is the day after tomorrow. After that, if previous years are any indication, things at work are going to slow down to a crawl. I'd better dust off the old résumé.

I'll have to take down the Halloween lights after tonight. Yes, Halloween lights. They're kind of like Christmas lights, but all dark purple. (They're supposed to be 'black lights', but they're not, really.) I don't know exactly what happened to the Christmas lights I used to have - lost in the move, I'd guess. That's not an issue for a few of weeks, anyway. I refuse to put up Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving.

I suppose that's it for now. Sleep beckons. Perchance to dream....

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home